Stan and I had talked about doing an album. He suggested Tony. I jumped at the idea. At around the same time, Andrew Hallifax called me. We had met on a Mart-Anthony Turnage album - him engineering, me drumming - I was knocked out at his handling of the acoustics of the Church we recorded in and he liked jazz.
When he asked me to bring some jazz musicians to record in the Church I thought - This is fitting together nicely - The chance for me to play with great musicians, an engineer with big ears, and the challenge of making music in a difficult but rewarding room.
Stan Sulzman: Saxophones & Flutes
Tony Humas: Piano & Synths
Paul Clarvis: Traps, Drums & Percussion
- YE YE The goddess of charity* 6'11
- ERGHEN DIADO Stuart Hall introduced me to this from "The Mysteries of Bulgaria" but I never imagined it might sound like this* 4'56
- 'ALA-TTUUL Arabic for 'straight ahead' SULZMANN/HYMAS/CLARVIS 5'46
- BLOW WIND BLOW A traditional Latvian tune. I feel our version tells the story of destruction and resolution. * 8'49
- BAILEY Won't you please come home CANNON/CLARVIS 2'03
- SOME SCOTTISH AYRE Tony was on a walking holiday in Scotland. He heard this tune in a restaurant.* 8'42
- A DAY OUT FOR TONY AND PAUL HYMAS/CLARVIS 5'48
- TAKSIM Setting the mood for. SULZMAN/CLARVIS 2'23
- MWASHA A very old and famous Middle Eastern Samaii.* 4'40
- YE YE Round two.* 2'28
- INIANA Stan's beautiful tune SULZMANN 3'46
*Improvisations on traditional tunes
Music we love
Village Life Records is a focus point for original music and people who enjoy listening.
This is friendly and creative music that we love.
As musicians we realize full self-expression does not occur without a like-minded audience, who listen openly. We are taking responsibility to get this music to you directly, bypassing the standard music industry.
Our commitment is to the quality of the music; to the musicians, the recorded sound, and the artwork. For the receiving audience we are commited to building a sense of trust and creating a space we can all enjoy. How does this music make you feel? If you like it, please tell other people, and include yourself in this new listening community.
Thanking you, Sonia and Paul
For further information:
Village Life, 100 Village Rd, Enfield EN1 2EX England